Hypomyces hyalinus


Common Names: Amanita mold
Category: Fungi
Sub-category: Ascomycetes


A parasitic fungus on Amanita mushrooms, causing disfiguration. A whitish to pinkish covering; attacking the host rapidly and soon disfiguring it.

Found where Amanitas can be found, commonly under conifers and hardwoods in summer and fall.

Edible Notes: There are mixed reports on edibility. There is at least one source that lists it as edible [Mushrooms of Cape Cod and the National Seashore, Syracuse University Press, 2001, pg. 56] while another source [identification.growing-mushrooms.com] lists it as inedible. Based on what we know of other Hypomyces, Hypomyces hyalinus itself is probably edible or in the very least, not dangerous. And the most common host mushroom that it is found on in Connecticut, Amanita amerirubescens, is edible. So if Hypomyces hyalinus is growing on Amanita amerirubescens, it's probably edible. But it's important to note that Hypomyces hyalinus can grow on other Amanita species as well, some of which could be inedible, poisonous, or deadly. Since Hypomyces hyalinus can obscure the identification of the host mushroom, it is not recommended for consumption due to the risk of poisoning caused by the host mushroom, the consequences of which could be deadly if Amanita bisporigera was the host.
Warnings: While Hypomyces hyalinus itself is not known to be dangerous, it could potentially grow on an inedible or poisonous Amanita species.
Sightings