*** In the event of a suspected life-threatening poisoning emergency, call 911 immediately.***
Otherwise, the following phone numbers may be helpful:
Connecticut Poison Control Center: (860) 679-4540
American Association of Poison Control Centers: (800) 222-1222
NOTICE: ConnecticutWilderness.com and it's associates do not advocate the taking of wild species for the purpose of consumption. Information posted on this website regarding wild edibles is for educational purposes only. Consumption of wild species includes the risk of death, poisoning, vomiting, allergic reactions, and other potentially serious medical conditions. .. Read More...
Information posted on ConnecticutWilderness.com regarding the edibility of species may be inaccurate or incorrect. While we make efforts to provide accurate information, judgements made to consume a wild species should never be made based on information provided solely by ConnecticutWilderness.com alone. Positive identification of a wild species can only come with first-hand experience with the species and may require advanced identification techniques, including microscopic and chemical analysis, especially regarding fungi. In all cases, a positive identification should never be considered 100% unless a full DNA analysis is completed. It is critical to factor-in the risk of misidentification when consuming wild species.
Local laws and regulations of public and private property may, and often do, prohibit the taking, killing, or disturbance of any wild species on its property. Check your local laws and regulations.
The consumption of wild species, even after positive identification, can result in serious or deadly medical conditions. Some persons may experience an allergic reaction to wild species, even if it is generally considered safe for consumption. For many wild species, only certain parts of the species are edible, while other parts may be inedible or even poisonous. Care must be taken to avoid consumption of the poisonous parts. Many wild species require special processing such as cooking, drying, soaking, roasting, or treating with chemicals before they are safe for consumption. Failure to properly process the wild species could result in illness or death. Wild species, even after positive identification and proper preparation can cause illness or death due to contaminants. Wild species may absorb toxins from the soil or water sources. Never consume wild species from roadsides, waste areas, garbage dumps, or areas that are known or likely to contain toxins. Wild species may also cause illness as caused by decomposition or infestation caused by insects, molds, fungi, and bacteria. Consuming animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians may carry an increased risk of illness due to viruses and bacteria, including rabies. Some edible wild species can become toxic due to exposure to nearby toxic plants. If you ever have what you think may be an unpleasant or bad reaction to consuming a wild species, get medical attention immediately.