Access Point: 385 Burr Mountain Road
Additional Information: http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=325180&deepNav_GID=1650
In 1851, Milo Burr placed a dam across the confluence of several mountain streams impounding water for power. The tannery and three active sawmills erected downstream consumed the finest pines and oaks for miles around to meet the needs of lumber production. The clearings became homesites and Connecticut's industrial leadership was further strengthened. Burr Pond was designated as a state park in 1949. Gail Borden, discoverer of the process of milk preservation by evaporation and condensation, built the world's first condensed milk factory here, in 1857. The new milk product proved to be of great value, particularly to the Union Army during the Civil War. Fire destroyed the mill in 1877. A bronze tablet marks its site, just below the falls.